Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Food is a passion...but it may be time to select another passion instead !


All my life, food has been a passion for me, a hobby, an interest, a pleasure, nearly an obsession. But it is time to select a new passion or else, to modify this one somehow. Since I am so passionate about food, I think I will choose to modify things. I will write about food, write out some of my favourite or best recipes and not focus on the eating of it all. Sampling yes, tasting, not 'hoovering' it all down.

So stay tuned, you may find some of my stuff entertaining, interesting and informative. Write me your feedback, your comments and if you try any of my recipes, give me your critiques. But remember, if you criticize, I want to know what you did to improve it and why you didnt like what I gave you. My recipes arent always perfect but for the most part, my family and friends have found them quite tasty and enjoyable. And I would like to add, simple to prepare.

My dad was a professional chef. He would not teach me cooking as he said it was a profession which wreaked havoc on family life, on social life. He was right. I rode through western Canada this year and interviewed 15 of the best chefs out there. About a third of them were divorced or separated. I respected their privacy and never dug into the reasons for this, but my dad's word rang in my ears and gave me ideas. Still, the apple does not fall from the tree and so I always dream of being a good chef. A good chef is organized, careful and systematic. Now there are some attributes which I need to add to my persona, along with patience. I cant bake...and it is precisely because of my personality. To be a good pastry chef, you must be patient, precise and pragmatic...no guessing, no estimating, no approximations. Measure, weigh, and work with diligence. Maybe some day I will. After meeting an Executive Chef in Whistler, BC, I want to try baking bread. After tasting the homemade baked stuff made by a home chef in northern Vancouver Island, I am envious as to how they have such great skills and can produce their own breads, pies, and cakes. I pride myself in cooking and cant do it...but I keep promising myself, I will.

So stay tuned, come back every now and then and I will have tips, advice, suggestions, cautions and more, all related to food and cooking. I am certain, at the very least you will be entertained.

Visit back again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment