Sunday, October 31, 2010

Let's start eating some chicken !

I eat chicken a lot because I have this self delusional hope that if I eat enough of it, I will be a bit less rotund in girth. No, I dont fry my chicken. I don't make it with gravy and mash potatoes unless company is coming...but that is another recipe and one to die for!


The recipe I offer here comes from Cheryl Sternman's blog site. She is a Californian blogger who lives in my favourite part of that state, Santa Barbara. She has been doing cooking related activities for a few years, online and in real life. I found her chicken recipe which called for marinating and I thought I would try it out. My comments are reserved for the end, but to overcome your suspense, the recipe is excellent, the chicken comes out with lots of flavour and very moist. I would play with the recipe but Cheryl's basic one would work well for most people. I like my recipes with more "bite" to them so read my modifications.


FIG BALSAMIC VINEGAR CHICKEN
Recipe from Cheryl Sternman (www.cherylsternmanrule.com)
I am always looking for chicken recipes, particularly because chicken is supposedly less fattening than the meats which I prefer. This chicken recipe got me curious as it requires marinating, something which I don’t normally do. I tried the recipe. My critique and comments are written at the end.

INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 tablespoons fig balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-3/4 pound bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (about 2 large)

PREPARATION
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, Worcestershire, and olive oil until emulsified. Season generously with salt and pepper and transfer to a large ziploc bag. Add the chicken, squeeze out all the air, and zip closed. Fold the bag in half and refrigerate for several hours, turning occasionally if you think of it.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Fit a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with nonstick spray. Remove the chicken from the marinade (let excess marinade drip off) and place on the baking sheet. (Discard marinade.) Pat chicken gently with paper towels.

Roast in the hot oven for about 30 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast reaches 175 degrees. Cool slightly, then cut the meat off the bone in one large chunk and slice crosswise for serving.

SZPIN’s Changes
1. The marinade suggested is very tasty. However, it is crucial to bake this chicken at high heat on a flat baking tray, pizza pan or such, in order to get a crispy result. Some munchers may choose to discard the skin. I made a mistake and baked my chicken in a deep, Dutch oven which resulted in a more juicy but less crispy chicken. Don’t bake your chicken this way unless you prefer your chicken more moist. It will not be crisp.

2. I would try this recipe with finely chopped garlic in the marinade. I love garlic. Garlic is me! No Pole in the world can live without it! In that regard, I am a true Pole!






3. I would play with another variation for this recipe. Try ginger, chili flakes and honey as part of the marinade. I haven’t tried these variations yet as one can only eat chicken so often in a week.

FINAL ASSESSMENT
The chicken as prepared according to this recipe results in a very nice baked chicken with lots of flavour. It was moist, juicy and very flavourful. I liked it a lot. I would try making it again with the changes which I suggest above, either the garlic or else the ginger, not both. 

It is a terrific recipe for using chicken breasts with skin and bone, likely the most inexpensive way chicken is sold. 




 

Visit back!

No comments:

Post a Comment