Thursday, November 25, 2010

OK...made the choice ... Bosch wins !

I looked at the two best  selling stand up mixers, Kitchenaid and Cuisinart, and compared them with the Bosch.

Bosch won out for the following reasons in order of importance to me:

1. Ease of cleaning: Bosch disassembles easily and everything except the metal parts, is dishwasher safe. Mind you, I have used it twice already, making a cake and shortbreads, and both times I washed by hand, easily and quickly.

2. Crucial drives, gears in the Bosch are all metal while they are plastic in the competitors. This means that heavy mixing puts a real strain on the gears and transmission. Metal is better than plastic or nylon. I can doubly confirm that from motorcycling for Suzuki is a good bike that had parts problems because they used to nylon and plastic. So, I chose German metal engineering. We shall see. Kitchenaid users have told me their machines have lasted for years but daily use was not in their cards.

3. I like that the Bosch is squat with a wide, wide rim allowing for easy filling of ingredients for mixing. The competitors either have tilt back heads or crank up bowls. Bosch sits low, squat and ready to go.

4. Accessories are easily changed on the Bosch. I cannot say much hear, at least not from experience, for I only have one accessory, the blender. But the demo videos at a Bosch web site, sure made accessory attachment look easy and practical.

One complaint, which may be applicable to the other mixers too, is that accessories are costly. I want to make my own pasta. For that I must be the meat grinder attachment at about $200 and then the pasta attachments for nearly another $200. I thought motorcycling was expensive. This baking business might break me!

ITALIAN FOCCACIA CAKE
I am not to post the recipe for this cake yet as it was my first run with the mixer. Also, remember please that I am not a baker; I am a cook! I dont measure or work with lots of patience. A baker does!

So my first effort came out but I think I should have folded  in the egg whited instead of mixing them in. Also, maybe tad less flour so it remains a bit more moist. Sure helped having scotch with the cake!!!

Now I begin my Christmas cookie blitz.

Each year my "sous chef" and I make at least a half dozen different kinds of cookies. This year we have the mixer. So it should be an easier job.

Find out by revisiting soon.

Visit back again !

No comments:

Post a Comment